Sunday, July 13, 2014

BLOGPALOOZA: PART FOUR! Sal's Other Super-Busy Day, Part Three: "Move On!" at Near West Theatre

For many years I've been attending Near West Theatre shows and loving them!  My dear friend Avril has two daughters who often appear in plays at Near West, which is why I started going.  These talented young ladies -- and the rest of the Near West cast -- have entertained and inspired me many times.  Since I began Travels with Sal last year, I've been bringing my little uke along.  (For those who enjoy a bit of nostalgia, here are Sal's previous posts about Near West Shows:  Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris and Side Show.)

While the shows at Near West have been wonderful, the facility where they took place was not so hot.  Actually, it was very hot!  It was sometimes unbearably hot!  And the seats were uncomfortable.  And the long downstairs and upstairs and vice-versa trip back and forth to the tiny leaky ladies' room was good exercise, but far from what the ADA would recommend.

The show Sal and I attended on June 27th was, therefore, a bittersweet experience.  Titled Move On, it was the last Near West show to take place in the old hall.  Near West is building a new facility to house its fabulous entertainments -- and all of the great work they do to prepare for them.  Move On was entertaining and touching. I loved every minute of it!  Thanks, Near West, for all the great memories!  (And thanks, Avril, for introducing me to Near West!)

Looking forward to seeing lots of plays in Near West's beautiful new home -- but also feeling nostalgic for the old creaky place...


The cast of Move On singing a song that brought tears to my eyes...

From left to right:  Patricia, a fellow Near West fan, and Sal with Maggie (one of my two favorite cast members).

From left to right:  Avril, Sal with Mary (my other favorite cast member), and Peet.

Sal with Julianne -- always a wonderful addition to any Near West show!

No comments:

Post a Comment