Friday, July 11, 2014

BLOGPALOOZA: PART TWO! Sal Has Another Super-Busy Day, Part One: The Butler Institute of American Art

Here is BLOGPALOOZA, Part Two -- an attempt to catch up with Sal's recent activities!  She has so much fun it's hard to keep up with her!

My friend Heidi, the guru of all things pop culture, told me that there was a Maurice Sendak exhibit at the Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown.  Trying to find a date we were both free was a challenge, but we finally settled on Friday, June 27th.  Heidi also wanted to see another exhibit at the museum -- Kim Novak: Pastel Paintings.  Two celebrity exhibits at the same time.  Cool.

I took some pictures at the Sendak exhibit, but because of the challenges involved in posing Sal with a small drawing or painting high on a wall, the results were meh. 

We walked around the rest of the museum, and saw many cool things, some of which are pictured below.  You won't see the museum's most famous paintings, though, because Sal and I went to the Butler last year and I took photos of those works at that time.  If you are interested in more of what the museum has to offer, here's last July's Butler post



This is so cool!  The next photo explains what's going on in the painting.

Neat, right!?

I know it was naughty, but the frame around this painting was plenty wide and flat for Sal to sit on.  There's a ukulele!  And a record player!  How could I resist!?

A room full of carousel horses -- and decorative objects from carousels.  I did not try to pose Sal on one of the saddles -- even though I really wanted to! 

I had to take a picture of this painting because of the hidden ukulele shape within.  Do you see it?  The painting is called Seer, and it was painted in 1947 by Adolph Gottleib.

Raenell, Heidi, and Sal posing with an incredibly life-like sculpture of a security guard -- punnily named Seated Security Guard #2 (Art).


Eventually we ended up in the room containing the Kim Novak exhibit.  I'm not going to say what I thought of her work.  I will let it speak for itself. 



Heidi and Sal with Kim Novak's painting about the film Vertigo.


Read this, and then look at the painting below...

I solved the problem of getting Sal into a photo of a painting by standing in such a way that she is reflected in the glass of the painting.  Of course you can see me, too, but the point is that Sal is in the photo.


Our museum day ended in the gift shop.  I purchased a copy of Maurice Sendak's wonderful Pierre.  I read Pierre to my kids many times when they were young, and am looking forward to reading it to the darling Sophia.  The shop had lots of other Sendak stuff, too -- magnets, shirts, and the oh-so-tempting jigsaw puzzle pictured below.



Because of time pressures, I have given up doing jigsaw puzzle and hosting jigsaw puzzle nights at my house.  I actually gave away most of the puzzles I had purchased -- keeping just a couple of favorites to maybe do someday.  When I saw this Where the Wild Things Are puzzle, I came every close to caving, but something held me back -- the realization that I have NO TIME to do this puzzle!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment