Tuesday, July 15, 2014

BLOGPALOOZA: PART SIX! Sal Gets Tickets for the Akron Rubber Ducks Game

An exciting event will soon be upon us!  A bunch of Cleveland Jumping Fleas will be entertaining literally thousands of people as we play and sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game at an Akron Rubber Ducks game.

Backstory time!  Last year I went to a baseball game at Canal Park -- the home of the Akron Aeros -- who are now called the Rubber Ducks.  (Check out this post if you'd like to read about that game.)  During the seventh inning stretch a family was projected on the giant scoreboard as they sang Take Me Out the Ball Game.   Of course I immediately decided that this would be a great thing for the Fleas to do.

When spring rolled around again, the idea was proposed and people seemed to like it.  Extensive intra-Flea-mailing and contacting of the Rubber Ducks staff ensued.  We began practicing and memorizing the song. 

After collecting money from our fellow Fleas, Sal and I drove to Akron to pay for and bring the tickets home to distribute among the performers and their families and friends.  As we arrived at the ball park, a game was about to start.  It was a colorful sight, as the street was full of buses loaded with kids from daycamps, etc.  Each group was wearing bright matching shirts.  Quite a festive atmosphere!

I had spent lots of phone time (and played much phone tag) with two very nice ladies from the Rubber Ducks:  Christina, Director of Promotions, who arranged for us to play, and Jenna, ticket lady extraordinaire, who got us our group tickets.  Both were great to work with.

My plan had been to buy a Rubber Ducks cap at the Team Shop when I went to get the tickets, but, because a game was about to start, the shop was closed.  I am grateful to Jenna for getting me in so I could buy my hat.  I also purchased an Akron Rubber Ducks onesie for Sophia.  This was an item a grandma couldn't resist.  See the next Travels with Sal post for a photo of the little sweetie wearing it!


Jenna with Sal, Emily masterfully juggling multiple phone calls, and another helpful Ducks staffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment