Saturday, June 14, 2014

Sal Goes to a "Play Ukulele by Ear" Workshop

When I received an e-mail a few weeks ago about a Play Ukulele by Ear workshop at Elderly Instruments, I immediately decided I wanted to go.   Yes, it takes about four hours to drive there, and four hours to drive back.  Yes, I hate long car rides.  So why make the trip?   First, the workshop was to be conducted by Jim D'Ville, whose Play Ukulele by Ear website is justly well-known.  Second, Sal loves to get her picture taken with ukulele luminaries! 

On my last trip to Elderly I ate breakfast at Pablo's Old Town  (read this post if you want to know about that trip).  The gentleman who helped me -- who I assumed was the owner -- was very friendly and chatty.  At that time I did not ask him to pose for a picture with Sal, but regretted it later, so when we workshop-attending Fleas were talking about where to meet for lunch, I suggested going to Pablo's -- hoping to get the photo I didn't get last time.  Unfortunately, the gentleman was not there, so I didn't get the desired photo.  Lesson learned = don't pass up an opportunity thinking that it may present itself again.  Maybe it will, but maybe it won't.



Lunch with Holly, Sal, and Tabitha at Pablo's Old Town. 

Sal with my chicken enchilada plate.

After lunch we walked to Elderly and took our seats in the steaming hot Elderly basement room where workshops take place.  (I spent the few moments before class fanning myself with a chord chart.)  As soon as class began, however, the excess heat was forgotten, as we were all focused on using our ears!  Mr. D'Ville was a good teacher -- using much humor to get his message across.  I think we all learned some pretty cool things, and were glad we made the trip.  After the workshop, I asked Jim D'Ville to pose with Sal, and he graciously agreed to do so. 



"Pensive"
"Funny"


"Shy?"






Then it was time to leave the basement and look at the enticing array of ukuleles in the store above.  I was not planning to buy one, and held to my resolve, but Sal and I were thrilled to watch Holly select and purchase an absolutely gorgeous Ohana soprano ukulele. 



Holly with her new ukulele -- and Sal, of course.  According to the gentleman who helped Holly make her selection, the top of this uke is made of redwood salvaged from a submerged log.  It is truly a most beautiful instrument.  This picture doesn't do it justice.


















We traveled safely home, and now the challenge is finding time to practice what we learned.  Sigh...



No comments:

Post a Comment