Friday, June 27, 2014

Sal's Super-Busy Day: Part Two -- "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

I think I'm a reasonably intelligent person, but whenever I try to read a Shakespeare play, I don't know what the heck the characters are talking about.  Therefore, a Shakespeare fan I am not.  Saturday night, however, found me attending a performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream, put on by the  Cleveland Shakespeare Festival at Lakewood Park.  Why would I do this?  Because my very British mother is a big fan of Shakespeare and doesn't often have the opportunity to do interesting things.  She is very particular about what she likes -- and what she doesn't -- so finding things she will want to do is pretty tough.  Whenever I come across something I think she will enjoy, I'm on it -- so Saturday night Shakespeare was it! 

I made the trek out to her house to pick her up, and my sister drove her back home.  In between we were all mightily entertained!  The production was a delight!  And we were lucky to have chosen to attend Saturday's performance, since the Friday night show had to be moved indoors because rain was coming down in buckets. Saturday's weather could not have been better -- and Lakewood Park was a perfect venue.

Thanks to Brian, one of the Cleveland Jumping Fleas, and Operations Director of the Cleveland Shakespeare Festival.  If it weren't for him, I would not have known about this delightful al fresco theater. Another good thing about playing the ukulele = you meet other ukulele players who connect you with even more life-enriching arts.


Brian and Sal before the show.

Sal enjoyed hanging out on this sign -- which was literally pointing the audience in the right direction.

Anne, Mom and Sal.  Don't even ask...  ;)

Before the play began Brian told me that there would be a ukulele in the show, so I was watching for it -- and here it is!   Sal and I were very happy, because we think ukuleles should be scattered liberally everywhere!

After the show the talented troop of actors walked through the audience collecting donations -- and agreeably posing for photos with Sal.  Here is Hillary Wheelock, who did an amazing job playing Puck and Philostrate.

The actors in the production played multiple roles -- changing their costumes a bit to indicate their change of character.  Sal is posing here with Alli St. John (Helena//Quince/Moth) and Jennifer Cull (Hermia/Snug/Peaseblossom).  Both of these ladies were wonderful in all of their roles.

Sal posing with the blushing bride, Titania -- charmingly played by Pamela Harwood -- whose other role in the play was that of Hippolyta.

The Cleveland Shakespeare Festival will be doing this show through June 29th, and then Romeo and Juliet in July.  Go if you can!  Details HERE.





No comments:

Post a Comment