Monday, June 16, 2014

Sal Meets the Carolina Chocolate Drops

It's pretty amazing how knowing interesting people can bring wonderful new things into one's life.  This little tale is an example of that.  A few months ago I invited a few of my fellow Fleas to peruse the catalog of the Cleveland International Film Festival and, if they so desired, select a film or two to see with me.  One of the people who took me up on the offer was Nicole.  She came down to see the film The Winding Stream: The Carters, the Cashes and the Course of Country Music.  We both really enjoyed the movie, and yes, there's a post about that.  During the course of the film, the Carolina Chocolate Drops performed a song.  I enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't have given the group another thought if Nicole hadn't said "I love the Carolina Chocolate Drops."  Jump forward a few weeks to when the Cain Park summer concert schedule was announced.  And there were the Carolina Chocolate Drops!

That is how Sal and I ended up seeing a fantastic show on Thursday night with a whole bunch of very nice people!  Starting with a tasty dinner at Tommy's Restaurant, and ending with having the opportunity to meet the amazing performers and take the photos below, it was a great evening.

Lesson learned = hang out with interesting people and you will do interesting things, too.  Thanks, Nicole!


Part of our concert-going group.  From left to right:  Bruce, Nicole with Sal, Weezle, and Laurie.  See how close our seats were to the stage!?

The Carolina Chocolate Drops during their super-entertaining performance.  Such great music!  I would see them again in a minute!

After the show the group signed posters, CDs, record albums, tickets, etc.  Of course I asked them to pose with Sal!  You can see that they are not just amazing musicians -- they are a fun bunch of people!

I ran into several people I knew at the show, including my friend Heidi and her mom Raenell.  As we were starting to say our goodnights, we saw the wonderful dancers whose fabulous footwork had added a lot to the show.  Of course I couldn't resist asking them to pose with Sal, too, and they were super nice about it.  From left to right:  Heidi, Raenell, Matthew Olwell and Emily Oleson (holding Sal) of the Good Foot Dance Company, and Bruce.

If you ever have the chance to see the Carolina Chocolate Drops, don't hesitate!  Get a ticket and go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment