Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sal Travels to Elderly Music (again)!

On Saturday Sal and I attended three ukulele workshops at Elderly Instruments, and had a fabulous time.  We drove up on Friday afternoon, stopping at the fabulous Ikea in Canton, Michigan.  We bought lots of great stuff and had the traditional Ikea meal of Swedish meatballs before getting back on the road.  We arrived at our motel, fell into bed and actually slept -- unusual for our first night away from home.  We got up bright and early -- ready to learn new uke skills at the day's workshops.

After eying the motel's breakfast offerings with skepticism, we decided to look for someplace else to have our morning repast.  (I had just listened to the newest book by Carl Hiaasen, which made me suspicious of the freshness of the food.  Don't read Bad Monkey -- or any other book by this supremely entertaining author -- if you are squeamish.  If you enjoy absurdity and wacky mishaps, however, go out and read his books right now!)  But I digress...

I figured there must be a restaurant near the music store where I could get breakfast, so we took off for Old Town -- the location of the super-cool Elderly.  I didn't see many people out and about at this hour, but I noticed some cars parked near a restaurant called Pablo's, which had the word "breakfast" in neon in the front window.  This looked promising, so I entered.  I saw that only one table of other diners was there, which worried me a bit  (see above reference to the book I had just finished), but the gentleman who greeted me was very hospitable and helpful.  In the course of our conversation, I told him I was in town for the Elderly workshops, and he said that the store always sends customers his way.  (This is true, btw, as an Elderly staffer recommended Pablo's later in the day!)  I encouraged my host to go to the store and buy a uke to serenade his customers.  We had a few laughs, and I began to think I should go to my car, get Sal, and ask him to pose for a photo with her.  At this point, however, the restaurant became much busier, so I decided not to get Sal.  Afterwards I wished I had, as I would have had his picture to share with you.  (I wonder if he was the eponymous Pablo?)  I guess I'll have to go back and find out!

After a yummy breakfast, I arrived a bit early for the workshops, so I took a short walk to the river and took some pictures of Sal there. 


This lovely spot is a 2-minute walk from Elderly.

Looking the other way down the river from the same location.

As I entered the Elderly store, I met up with Tabitha -- one of the oft-mentioned Cleveland Jumping Fleas.  She had driven the long road to Elderly, too, and was trying out some banjo ukes...


Sal helping Tabitha select her new baby!



The first workshop was with the amazing Lil' Rev.


Sal hanging out with Lil' Rev and one of his ukes after the first workshop.  He introduced us to lots of challenging and exciting stuff in his classes.  Now it's time to practice, practice, practice!



Tabitha, Sal and I had lunch at yummy Sir Pizza and then walked back to Elderly for another workshop by Lil' Rev.  Of course I had to take Sal photos in the restaurant and on the walk back.  Tabitha was very patient with this process.  :)



Still life:  Calzone and Uke!


Lovely misty river.  I would have loved to stroll along that boardwalk, but uke magic awaited us back at Elderly!



Before the next workshop began, Sal and I were hanging out in the store when I saw Jim and Liz Beloff.  I decided to ask them to pose with Sal right then instead of waiting until the last workshop -- which Jim Beloff was teaching.



Liz and Jim Beloff with Sal.  As the proprietors of Flea Market Music, they have received quite a few $$$ from yours truly.  I am very happy about this, though, as I love playing songs from the Daily Ukulele books on my Flea ukuleles!  They sound so sweet!  Thanks to the Beloffs for their efforts to bring the uke back to its proper place in the world of music -- the top spot!


After the last workshop, it was time to get on the road and drive back home.  There was going to be a concert that night featuring Lil' Rev and Jim Beloff -- and it would have been wonderful I am sure -- but I had only booked my room for Friday and a big football crowd had apparently scarfed up all the rooms for Saturday.  So, into the car we went -- sad that we were missing the concert -- but glad we had experienced such a ukin' wonderful day.

Looking forward to more Elderly workshops in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment