Saturday, January 10, 2015

Sal Attends Two Jake Shimabukuro Shows

A few months ago I found out that Jake Shimabukuro was going to be performing at Hill Auditorium at the University of Michigan on my birthday!   As you can imagine, I decided immediately that I must go.  A few days later, I found out that he would be coming to my home town the very next night!  After some inner debate -- and discussion with others -- I decided to go to both shows!  And I'm very glad I did!


My sister and Sal in our seats.  So close to the stage!  :)

Seated in the row in front of us were these folks.  What a small world!  As avid ukers, we seem to run into each other quite a bit -- at Elderly Instruments workshops and the Midwest Uke Fest.


As always, Jake was amazing!!!  WOW!!!



The hall seemed a bit strict about photography, so I mostly just enjoyed the show, but I did sneak in a few quick shots.  Most were terribly lit and out of focus, but I like this one of Jake tuning his uke.  He had a bass player playing with him for part of the show, but I didn't get a good shot of the two of them.


I have a uke signed by Jake from a previous show -- a pretty little bamboo uke -- a Paulele -- which occupies a proud place in my collection.  I did not have him sign Sal before, as I thought she should remain pristine.  There are so many cool ukers who pose with her, and I didn't want to make it seem like I was playing favorites, but after having her signed by James Taylor this summer, I decided to ask Jake to sign her, too.  I am very happy to have the autographs of these two amazing musicians on my little uke.



After the show, Anne and I waited in line to get a photo with Jake.  I brought a print of a previous picture I had of him and Sal together, and took this meta shot.  Jake was very cool about it!  What a nice guy he is!  Anne and I discussed trying to get a print of this picture and waiting in line after the show the following night to get the next shot in what I hope will be a Jake series of meta pix, but decided it would seem to stalk-ery.  Next tour!



Anne and I stayed overnight in Lansing, and drove back to Cleveland the next day.  We each went to our respective homes for a few hours, and met up again in the evening at the Music Box Supper Club for that evening's Jake show.  Accompanying us was Lisa, a ukulele afficcionado extraordinaire!  It was her first Jake show -- Anne's third, and my fifth -- and we knew she would be blown away.  I believe she was!



Anne, Lisa, and Sal before the show. 

Another case of "it's a small world."  I heard someone calling my name, turned around, and saw Dahmia -- another lover of the uke.  She very generously taught some of the Fleas the hula motions for Beautiful Kawaii a few months ago!


I didn't get many pictures at this show, either, but here's one.  What beautiful music Jake played...


I can't wait 'til Jake's tour stops here again!  Come back soon, Jake!




No comments:

Post a Comment