Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sal Goes to The Ridges

My sister, Anne, and I took Sal to Athens, Ohio this week to visit my son, Brian.  We arrived late Wednesday afternoon, and set off for a walk at The Ridges -- a former mental hospital (1874-1993).  Many of the old hospital's buildings are now used by Ohio University for other purposes -- though when I see them I can't forget their sad history and the suffering that must have taken place inside.  Today's visitors can enjoy the Kennedy Museum of Art in the main building, which is open to the public, and the lovely Ridges Cemeteries Nature Walk -- a trail that takes hikers through woods, across fields, and near the graves of many of the hospital's former patients.  The four of us (three people and one uke) set off across a sunny field and then into the woods.  It was a wonderful place to walk -- even though it seemed to be mostly uphill!  ;)

What a beautiful sunny day it was!

I couldn't decide which "Sal on the bales" picture to share, so I'm sharing two.  Which one do you like best?  Feel free to give your opinion.

The light in this shot is lovely, I think.

We all enjoyed the walk!

For various reasons, I was not able to get all the pictures I wanted on our evening walk, so I woke up early on Friday morning and drove Sal and myself back to The Ridges for a morning photo session.


Sal on a fire escape on the side of the main hospital building.  Many sections are picturesquely decrepit -- with rusty window grates and vines that look like they are growing inside.  The coolest looking window sills were too high for me to reach, so the fire escape was the logical solution.  (If anybody from Ohio University is reading this, here's a message for you:  I know that money is tight, but please repair and maintain this historic building!)

It was a dewy and cool early morning --  perfect for a peaceful walk.

After being placed in the grass for a bunch of photos, Sal was a bit dewy herself.

Most of the stones are engraved only with numbers -- which is quite heartbreaking -- but some families added stones with their loved ones' names on them. 

This is my favorite photo from the visit to The Ridges.  The light is so beautiful on the stones, the grass, and Sal.


Even though I returned to the motel with wet shoes covered with grass clippings, it was well worth it.  I was glad to have spent quiet time taking photos of Sal in the contemplative atmosphere of The Ridges.



No comments:

Post a Comment