Friday, June 28, 2013

Sal Goes to the Akron Art Museum

It seems that whenever Sal and I go someplace together, we don't have enough time to see everything -- and today's outing was no exception.  The two of us -- and three of our friends -- went to the Akron Art Museum to see an exhibit titled The Snowy Day and the Art of Ezra Jack Keats.  Sunday is the last day the exhibit will be at the museum, so off we went.  (I highly recommend this to everyone who can squeeze it into their schedules in the next two days!  Or you can catch it in Philadelphia, starting on July 19th.)   I was hoping that we could look at other areas of the museum, too, but alas, there was no time...  Hoping for an opportunity to make a return visit!

We asked at the front desk if photography was permitted in the museum, and received disappointing news.  We could only take photos in the lobby and gift shop, and in the storytime area of the exhibit. We visited the shop first, and then proceeded up the stairs.


Sal in the gift shop with many Peters and giant glasses -- both of which can be found in Mr. Keats' works.  I was able to resist buying a doll or glasses, but did end up with a copy of the book about the exhibit.

My friends at the entrance to the exhibit. 

For those who are not familiar with the delightful picture books that Ezra Jack Keats wrote and illustrated, I urge a trip to the library (or bookstore) right away!  Pick up copies of these books and enjoy:  The Snowy Day, Peter's Chair, A Letter to Amy, Whistle for Willie, and Pet Show.  (Those are my favorites -- all of which I read many times to my kids when they were little -- and I still use The Snowy Day in winter storytimes.)  The exhibit included original artwork from several of Mr. Keats' books, other art he created, and more.  It was wonderful!

The storytime area of the exhibit was really cool.  It consisted of three walls around a cozy spot that looked like a place straight out of one of Mr. Keats' books.  A big group of kids was sitting on the floor and beanbags, and their grown-up was sitting on the steps reading them stories and talking about what they had read.  It was all very charming, but I was hoping they would leave soon so I could get some Sal pictures there.  Happily for Sal and me, the storytime came to an end and the group moved on.


The storytime nook was very inviting.  Beanbags on the floor, and piles of books on the steps.  Who wouldn't want to read there?  As we continued around the exhibit, I noticed many young people sitting in this area reading the books -- and some of them were teenagers!  I wonder if they remembered the books from when they were little, or were drawn in by the atmosphere of this section of the exhibit -- or both!


I took many photos of Sal all around the storytime area, but you will be glad to know that I'm only sharing two here.


After seeing the exhibit, I had planned to go outside and take pictures of Sal with some of the sculptures there.  Unfortunately, it was beginning to sprinkle a bit, and time was running short.  This sculpture was visible through the window, though, and seemed to be calling out to me, so I went out to try to balance Sal on it.  After a feeble attempt, I decided it would be too hard to avoid stepping on the ivy surrounding the sculpture -- plus it was raining -- so I gave up on my photo idea.  One of my friends, however, bravely stepped in, and carefully got Sal situated for some photos.  (No ivy was harmed during the making of these photographs.)



Heidi looks like she belongs in the sculpture in this shot, I think!


Because of balance issues, the only way Sal would stay in the sculpture's hand was to put her sideways.  It's not the best shot of Sal, but she's in the sculpture -- and that's what counts!


What I was really hoping for was a picture with Sal facing the camera, so Heidi offered to try to pose Sal again.  She was able to get Sal to stay for just a second in the correct position, but the uke fell before I could get a photo.  Luckily Sal fell onto a soft bed of ivy and was uninjured.  The rain was coming down harder at this point, so we decided to call it a day.  Better luck next time!


Heidi got Sal to stay in this position and it looked like it was going to work...  (See the water drop on the lens?  It had begun to rain harder by this time.)


As I was about to press the shutter button, Sal fell into the ivy below.  And it was raining still harder.  Time to give up and go home.  Sigh...



2 comments:

  1. I like the way Sal is facing upwards in the sculpture shot. It looks natural that way. Looks like another fun day with Sal!

    ReplyDelete