Monday, June 24, 2013

Sal Goes to Old Man's Cave

For people who like to walk in the woods and don't mind a little danger mixed in, a hike to Old Man's Cave is a perfect outing! There are gorgeous things to see, and slippery spots to traverse with care (unless one wants to fall down stone steps or worse -- a cliff or gorge).  I think this sign gives the general idea pretty well.

Gulp!


Despite these warnings, there were many people with small children and dogs enjoying nature's beauty on the day of our visit.  It made me nervous to see people carrying babies down the treacherous stone stairways, but everybody seemed to be doing fine.  I don't have any scary-looking cliff edge shots to share, as I wouldn't be brave enough to put Sal or myself in any sort of precarious situation, but I hope you can see that going to Old Man's Cave is a very cool experience -- even if you are a scaredy cat like me!



We came upon this lovely grotto -- and there was the perfect perch for Sal -- a stump in the very center at the water's edge.  It was an obvious photo spot, so I spent a few minutes taking various shots of Sal on the stump with the waterfall behind her.


After taking these pictures, I turned around and there was a ring of people along the edge of the grotto waiting for me to get the heck out of the way so they could take pictures without me in the very center!  Oops!


Brian and Anne crossed the little stream to pose for a Sal picture in front of this cliff o' caves.


Thanks, guys, for being such helpful Sal photo folk -- even if at least one of you may have been a bit exasperated with all of the stops I made along the way.  ;)


I took lots of shots of Sal inside this little Sal-sized cave, but she looked sickly green in every one.  I suppose the light reflecting off the moss was the reason.  I used some iPhoto tricks to mess around with this picture, and now I think it looks really cool.


After messing around with the previous photo, I had to try some things with this one, too.  This is Sal sitting on  a not-very-wide modernistic cement bridge -- with no railings!  For some reason I thought of the movie North by Northwest when I saw it.  Perhaps the bridge was built in the 50s? 


Sal inside Old Man's Cave.  I can't imagine actually living there -- though there really was an old man who did!  Just in case you are wondering, I didn't use any iPhoto tricks on this picture.





1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures in this post! I can't imagine why some of them turned out green, but they look pretty cool! Can't wait to see Sal's next adventure!

    ReplyDelete