Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sal at Ohio University

Brian, my oldest son, has been at Ohio University for a few years now, and I've always enjoyed going to visit him there.  We've had delicious dinners at the wonderful Casa Nueva, occasional Hot Nut shots at Tony's, and hikes through nearby beauty spots -- all of which have made trips to Athens a pleasure.  Now Brian will be getting his Ph.D. and moving on, and my trips to Athens may soon be ending.  In this spirit, Sal and I would like to share a trio of photos from our recent visit there...


I always enjoy visiting this peaceful shady spot on campus.  The statue is The American Woman by David Hostetler.  There is a quote on the plaque at the base which says "Art is long and life is brief." 

Another wonderful restaurant in town is Salaam.  The decor is entrancing and the food tastes great -- and looks great, too.  Check out this beautiful dish of hummus!  I must thank Brian and Jen for leaving the restaurant and bringing Sal in from the car so I could take this picture.  I was tired after a long day and decided not to bring her in to the restaurant.  Then I saw the possibilities -- and they were kind enough to go get Sal.  :)

In all the years I've been coming to OU, I never stopped at this log cabin to see what it was.  This time I did!  It's the Visitors Parking Information Center -- and has quite a history (which you can read by clicking on the link.)  The thing that amuses me is that the drinking fountain behind the cabin is "In Commemoration of The Ordinance of 1787 For the Northwest Territory."  That is a useful monument!  Just imagine if all of the statues of generals on their horses, etc. were drinking fountains instead.  The world would be a better-hydrated place.  ;)

2 comments: