Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sal Goes to the Cleveland International Film Festival

Yesterday was Day 4 of the Cleveland International Film Festival!  So far I've seen 14 films, and plan to watch about 40 more in the remaining eight days of the festival.  Seeing so many movies in a short time is quite exhilarating and exhausting -- and leaves one with a very fuzzy head -- but it's an amazing experience that I look forward to every year!  I brought Sal with me to the Festival yesterday and got some fun photos of her there.

There are Film Festival graphics all over Tower City, giving it a festive international look. 


This picture shows part of a group of windows that are covered with Film Festival designs. 

If there is enough time between films I often walk laps around Tower City.  Sitting down all day is a pain in the butt (literally), and it's best to keep moving anyway.  As I was walking around the top level I thought it would be cool to get a shot of Sal on the railing -- showing the Film Festival banners framing the stairs on the other side and some of the other Film Festival graphics decorating Tower City, too.  Since I didn't have an assistant with me, I had to hold Sal with one hand while holding the camera with the other.  Obviously this limited what I could do.  I took many shots -- most of which were not sharp because of camera movement or Sal movement or a combination of the two.  This is the one I picked to share.  (The blurry edges are intentional, but I wish there was better depth of field so the Film Festival banners would be sharper.)


I've always wanted to go up to the observation deck of the Terminal Tower, but it just never worked out before.  When I read that the deck would be open on Saturday and Sunday afternoons during the Film Festival, I was thrilled.  Today Sal and I took the elevators up and saw some great views of the city.  Unfortunately, there were the usual problems that occur when I put Sal in a window and try to take a properly exposed photo of her.  A person would need lots more equipment and much more photographic skill than I possess to get good shots in this sort of situation, but that's not what this is about.  It's just me and Sal -- and a small camera to capture our experiences.  Also, there was a railing across each window, so I couldn't just balance Sal on the sill and take photos.  A helper and/or an extra hand or two would have been useful, but these situations force one to be creative, which is a good thing.


I cropped this photo, but didn't do anything else to it. I'm grateful it was a cloudy day so the outside light wasn't as bright as it could have been.


I cropped this picture and adjusted the exposure to show Sal's grain.  I also used the antique effect and edge blur.  Doing all this made an unusable photo into something I think looks pretty darn cool.

To get to the observation deck, you take two elevators.  One stops at the 32nd floor, and the other takes you up to the observation deck.  On the way back down, I stopped and took this from a window on the 32nd floor with the Retro Camera app on my phone.  It's supposed to look like a Polaroid.  I also took a bunch of shots with my real camera.  Interestingly enough, I like this one the best.


Just for film lovers: the mini Facebook reviews I posted after seeing each film:

Not Another Happy Ending = Light rom-com, not great, not terrible, just okay.
Waltz for Monica = Wonderful jazz + based on a real Swedish singer's life. Very good film!
Shorts Program 2 = Most were pretty good, 1 was shocking.
A Birder's Guide to Everything = Delightful coming-of-age road movie. <3
Continental = Too long and repetitive + not enough Barry.
Kidnapped for Christ = Excellent film + infuriating + very disturbing.
A Thousand Times Goodnight = Compelling + disturbing + excellent + want to discuss with somebody!
The Verdict = Amazingly powerful indictment of the legal system in Belgium + gripping story.
As the Palaces Burn = Metal guys can be good guys, but I still don't want to listen to their music.
Code Black = Amazing film + several hankies required + how about fixing our broken medical system!?
82 Days in April = Very slow, but eventually quite lovely + now I know what Turkey looks like (the country, not the bird.)
Ivory Tower = Good overview of the problems of higher education + must discuss.
Antarctica: A Year on the Ice = Magnificent time-lapse photography + now I know what it's like year-round there (flippin' cold and windy...)
That Burning Feeling = a super-enjoyable romcom!      

More to come!!!  Sal and I love Film Fest!!!     


   

No comments:

Post a Comment