Friday, April 11, 2014

Poor Sal Is Forgotten...

When a woman has a child, she is starting down a long and amazing road!  Sometimes the road is relatively smooth -- and sometimes it's pretty rough -- but in the end, what's it all for?  I believe it's for... GRANDCHILDREN!

After my child-rearing adventures, I hoped to end up with a grandbaby to enjoy -- and especially hoped for a granddaughter.  I wanted to buy cute little pink garments and do "girl stuff" together.  Of course my sons were (and are) great, but the urge to purchase pink was not satisfied when they were kids.  We had lots of fun, but a baby girl to dress up was my unfulfilled dream.

And now my dream has come true!  Thanks to my son, Brian, and his wonderful Jen, a beautiful baby girl has come into my life.  Her name is Sophia -- and she is truly a joy! 

Since this little family lives several hours away from me, Sophia was four days old by the time I met her.  Of course I planned to take Sal with me when I went on one of the most exciting trips of my life... but unfortunately, my little uke was left behind!  I had lots of things to bring -- including the fabulous Flea ukulele I bought for Sophia -- and didn't realize that Sal was not in the car until I was 15 minutes from home.  Since I was already running late (as usual), I decided to let Sophia's ukulele stand in for Sal on this visit.  Sal will go along next time -- and many times in the future -- to help document Sophia's growth.

Now it's time to share some photos of my amazing grandchild -- as all grandmothers must do!

Sophia with her very own first ukulele.  It's bigger than she is now, but that will change soon.

I took more than 40 pictures of Sophia with her Flea.  At this point she seems to be bored with the whole thing.  Perhaps she is wondering when Grandma is going to play the instrument instead of taking pictures of it!

Awwwww....
After taking photos, I played and sang a little for Sophia, and she didn't cry!  I regard that as a successful first step in her indoctrination to the ukulele, and look forward to many fun musical times in the future with this darling girl and her Flea.  In a few years I hope she'll be playing the instrument herself and we can do some duets!  Perhaps I'm putting the cart before the horse a bit, but a granny can dream, can't she!?



No comments:

Post a Comment