Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sal Misses a Great Show

Poor Sal!  After being stuck in the house for weeks and weeks, she finally had a chance to go out and see a great show, and I forgot to take her!  Why?  Because my mind is awhirl with so many other things that in the rush to leave the house, Sal was left behind.

As is true for everyone, I've got a lot going on right now -- and one of those things is the upcoming Ukulele Singalong.  (See this post for details.)  We had our last scheduled rehearsal on Tuesday night, but some of us got together at my house on Friday afternoon to work out a few remaining kinks.  We had a productive practice, and then a couple of us started to talk... and talk... and talk.  Suddenly I had a feeling of unease... What time was it?  I glanced at the clock and uh-oh!  I should have been on the road already, and I had been planning to spiff up a bit -- which was obviously not going to happen!  The conversation came to an abrupt halt and my fellow uker beat a hasty retreat.  I ran upstairs to brush my teeth and put on some shoes, then rushed back downstairs, threw on my coat, and was out the door -- totally forgetting about Sal!

Now comes the worst part of the story.  I live on a street that is a very busy cut-through at certain times of the day -- like 5:30 -- which is when I got into the car and started backing down the driveway.  When the traffic light at the corner is red, the cars are sometimes lined up past my driveway, so as I got in the car I looked.  Lots of traffic, but no cars behind me.  I backed up to the sidewalk, and stopped to make sure nobody was coming from either direction.  Nobody was, so I pulled out of the driveway.  (I think you can probably see where I'm going with this.)  CRUNCH!  Now there was a car at the end of my driveway.  A car with a messed up door.  Nobody was injured, which is great, but sigh...  I'm not going to talk about the angst I have been going through since then, as I wonder why the heck I didn't see that car, but I am quite upset about it!  Of course the police had to come... yadda yadda yadda ... so I was even later than before! 

Skip ahead to the show!  My friend, my sister, and I went to NightTown to see Carrie Rodriguez and Luke Jacobs. Wow!  Since I am attempting to play violin again (more about that here) -- and have been reminded by the sounds I make how difficult that instrument is -- I was possibly more blown-away by the fiddling than your average bear.   Ms. Rodriguez is an amazing fiddler -- as well as an amazing singer -- and Luke Jacobs was no slouch, either!  Since the venue is so small, I had a good view of his hands as he played.  He made it look so easy...  (and I still have trouble with Bb on the uke -- argh!)  The two of them were truly wonderful to listen to and watch.  Again, I must say WOW!

After the show, I briefly told Ms. Rodriguez about Travels With Sal, and that I had neglected to bring my little ukulele to the show.  (No, I didn't tell her the whole saga!)  I asked if she would pose for a photo with Sal's card, and she very kindly did so.

A wonderful musician -- and a very nice person, too! 


I also purchased a poster at the show, and asked both of the evening's fabulous performers to sign it.  In the quiet moment while Luke Jacobs was writing, I told him that I am part of a ukulele group that will be playing at a library on Tuesday night, and that after seeing his show, I didn't know how I would have the nerve to get up on a stage.  He laughed and said "you have to do it!"  (He has never heard me play -- haha!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment