Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sal (and Her Newest Sibling) Enjoy Some Fall Foliage

Early in the week I figured that this weekend I would take Sal on a nice walk (or bike ride) and get some fall foliage pictures with her.  I'm not sure if this is going to happen, since last night and this morning a bunch of snow fell on the other side of town!  I decided that just in case Mother Nature was planning to take her show on the road and blow some cold white precipitation our way, I'd best get some leaf photos pronto!  So I took a walk to the park around the corner, carrying Sal, my camera, and my newest ukulele acquisition -- so far unnamed.

This beautiful instrument is a Druid Moon, made by Folkcraft.  It's so lovely -- in appearance and sound -- and is super nice to play.  The top is butternut and the body is black walnut and it has a really mellow tone.  I love this uke!  So why doesn't this wonderful instrument have a name?  Well, I was planning on naming her (yes, I think of this uke as a "her") Buttercup, but when I saw her, she didn't look like a Buttercup to me.  This model is called Sara by Folkcraft, but I want to choose my own perfect name for my own perfect uke.  Someday it will pop into my mind, but I'm still waiting...

I have had this awesome ukulele for a few weeks already, and wanted to include her in a post with Sal, but the right opportunity hadn't come up.  A lovely fall day, and the threat of a winter-style storm, made me realize that the time is now!



My beautiful new ukulele.

The sisters hanging out on a park bench.

Two lovely ukes by an equally lovely waterfall in David Fortier River Park.

Sal on the stone stairway leading down to a path by the river.


I took Sal's picture on this big rock, because the idea of Sal breaking the rules and going where she has been told to "Keep Off" was appealing to me.  I am too much of a chicken to break many rules, but I think it's fun when Sal is a bit rebellious.  Unfortunately the original shot didn't do anything for me.  I added two iPhoto effects -- antique and color boost -- and I like the result.  What do you think?



The original photo.  Meh.

 I think the antique effect gives the rock an appropriately "Keep Off" vibe, and the few bright spots -- courtesy of the color burst effect -- give it a little interest.








2 comments:

  1. You have outdone yourself with these pictures! They are beautiful! Your new uke is really pretty and I can't wait to hear you play it! Perhaps someday you might consider posting a video of yourself playing - you could sit on a rock in the park, just like Jake! I have a video camera, so let me know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd like to take full credit, but Mother Nature did most of the work. Fall foliage + rocks + waterfalls = pretty stuff! Throw in a couple of nice ukes and ta-da!
      ;)

      Delete