Monday, August 26, 2013

Sal Spends a Perfect Summer Evening at Blossom Music Center

Summer is almost over, and Sal and I haven't done a fraction of the things I hoped we would do.  Last night, however, we did something pretty awesome.  We went with our friends, David and Tom, to Blossom Music Center for a wonderful concert titled Cole Porter and Friends.  The inimitable Cleveland Orchestra would be playing, and soloists would be singing songs from several composers/songwriters:  Gilbert and Sullivan, Victor Herbert, Ivor Novello, George Gershwin, a couple of others, and finally by Cole Porter himself.

We started the evening with a delicious picnic prepared by Tom.  We sat in a shady spot on the lawn to enjoy our repast.

Before we could dig into the yummy picnic food, Sal had to come out of her case and have her picture taken with our music-loving companions.


By the time we finished eating and chatting in the lovely cool breeze wafting over the hill, and returned the picnic things to the car, it was almost time for the concert to start, so we took our seats.  I wanted to take some Sal pictures, but David and Tom thought waiting for intermission would be a better idea.  It is fortunate that I listened to their wise counsel, as latecomers were greeted with much ribbing from the conductor, the extremely entertaining Bramwell Tovey.  This gentleman also made humorous and informative commentary on the pieces being performed by the orchestra and soloists -- soprano Laura Whalen and baritone Hugh Russell

At intermission Tom and I walked to the front of the stage and I began to take pictures of Sal there.  Tom suggested turning around and taking a shot to show how big the crowd was, too.


Sal hanging out on the edge of the stage during intermission.


Tom helpfully holding Sal for this shot showing the big crowd filling the pavilion and much of the lawn.


As I continued taking pictures from various locations along the front of the stage, a cellist appeared.  Of course I brashly asked if he would pose for a picture with his cello and Sal, and he graciously agreed.


The cellist, named Alan, posing with Sal and one of her much larger relatives.  I wonder if this cello has a name?  Because of lighting issues, I did some iPhoto messing around with this picture.  I really like it!


I like how this shows the underside of the massive pavilion roof -- and the crowds returning to their seats.  Intermission was almost over -- and nobody wanted to be the object of the conductor's humorous reminders that being late is a no-no.


Blossom veterans know that there is no point in rushing to one's car and trying to make a quick get-away, because there are many cars and not many roads out of the maze of parking lots.  It is best to hang out for a while and then stroll to the car to avoid a frustrating traffic jam and retain the lovely musical glow of the evening.  I decided to take the opportunity to get some shots of Sal, showing the pavillion with lighted stage and empty seats.  Of course we had to wait until everybody left the area.


David and Tom patiently waiting for me to finish taking Sal photos so we could go home.  ;)


Sal's final portrait of the evening.  I did so many things to this picture on iPhoto that I don't remember what they all are.  I wanted the picture to have a warm evening feeling to it, and I think it does.

After this we strolled back to the car, retrieved our dessert --  Fudgy Oatmeal Bars  -- from within, and partook of this treat at a picnic table before enjoying a traffic-jam-free drive out of Blossom and all the way home.  It was a truly lovely evening -- great picnic, wonderful conversation, fantastic music, perfect weather!  Can't wait 'til next summer when we can go back to Blossom to see our incredible Cleveland Orchestra in this beautiful venue again!

(I've also been inspired to get my violin out of the closet.  I haven't really played it since high school -- which was a looooong time ago -- but seeing other people playing violins always makes me want to try it again.  Perhaps I should take a few lessons and see what happens.  I have discovered that there is a fiddling class nearby...  I would have to take refresher lessons first, but maybe next time fiddling is offered...)




2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures in this post! All of them are great, but I especially like the one of the cellist and the one of Sal, David, and Tom looking at the empty pavilion at the end of the night. They sound like great people to see a concert with! I'm happy you enjoyed your evening!

    ReplyDelete