Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sal at the Midwest Uke Fest!

Last year Folkcraft Instruments put together their first Midwest Uke Fest and I, a person who had only played the ukulele for a few months, bravely ventured there in search of musical knowledge and new experiences.  A few other members of the Cleveland Jumping Fleas were also going and, though I was not well acquainted with them, it was good to see some familiar faces in faraway Woodburn, Indiana.  The two-day event was amazing, and I decided that I had to return in 2013 for the second Midwest Uke Fest.

As August 2013 grew closer, I started to "encourage" some of my fellow Fleas to attend this year's Uke Fest.  Surprisingly, a few of them did!  To be perfectly honest, my nagging probably didn't make much difference, but it is possible that my constant begging was the last little nudge they needed to sign up.  ;)  Of course Sal had to go along, too.  (As I said in a previous post, the Ohio-travel-only rule does not apply to ukulele events.)

One of the things Uke Fest attendees love to do is get their picture taken in front of a big Folkcraft/Midwest Uke Fest banner.  The camera is activated by a computer, which e-mails a copy of the photo.  We decided that we should get a shot of all the Clevelanders together, so we gathered our group and posed for a couple of photos.  Sal was, of course, included, as were some other ukes.  Then it was time to take a silly picture.  We posed in goofy ways, waited as the computer counted down... 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 .... and suddenly we were photo bombed!  The resulting picture is much funnier than the one we were about to take and thus ended the photo session -- with much hilarity!



This photo bomb is presented by Bing Futch!  You can see the edge of Sal peeking out from under his arm.  I'd say this photo reflects everyone's happy mood pretty well.


The Uke Fest begins at 8:00 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday, and it's a pretty long drive from the motel to the Folkcraft facility.  One of our merry band is extremely prompt -- and the rest of us are a bit more casual about time -- so on the second morning I decided to take some funny shots of Bruce impatiently looking at his pocket watch while other Fleas pretended to rush to the car. 



Bruce checking the time, while Joe and Norma "run" in slo-mo to the car.  Sal is waiting on the trunk.


Norma breaks character. 


I asked each of the wonderful instructors to pose with Sal, and all of them had fun ideas of what to do with her.  I love creative people!

Sal and Ehukai Teves share a musical moment.


What happy music they made!


 Lois Hornbostel -- dulcimer-player extraordinaire and a friend of Sal, too -- being a bit fierce!


The Uke Fest was featured in the local newspaper -- and there's a picture of Bing Futch on the front page!  Too bad they didn't have the photo bomb shot -- or this one with Sal.

Sal and Butch Ross getting ready to Rock and Roll!

Yeah!

Sal with the swingin' Gerald Ross.


Since the Uke Fest is held in the shop where Folkcraft makes and sells their beautiful handcrafted ukuleles and dulcimers, people attending the Fest pass by the displays of these instruments several times a day.  After last year's Fest, I decided that the next year (which is this year), I would treat myself to one of these beauties.  There are several types of wood to choose from, and I am certainly no expert, so when Ehukai Teves and I were both in the shop on the second day of last year's Fest, I asked him what wood he would choose.  He told me he would get a black walnut body and a butternut soundboard.  From that point on I thought about this beautiful future ukulele...

Of course I don't really need another ukulele, so as I walked past the instruments on the wall during Uke Fest 2013 I tried to resist temptation, but in the end it was too much.  I broke down and ordered myself a Druid Moon concert ukulele with -- you guessed it -- a black walnut body and a butternut soundboard.  It will be arriving in a few weeks.  I can't wait to play it!


Which of these is not like the others?  Sal, while very cute, is a bit out of her league on this wall of handmade instruments.

Sal posing with wood that will someday make beautiful music.  The picture was pretty boring, but then I did some things to it on iPhoto and now I think it's neat.

Richard Ash -- head honcho of Folkcraft -- and Nick Young, who answered all my questions and placed my order.  These gentlemen were kind enough to pose with Sal -- even though she is not handmade.  ;)  I asked them to pose by the register/computer to show that this is where the construction of Sal's future sibling began!


Once again, the Midwest Uke Fest was a peak experience for me!  If I was a gambler -- or as the song goes, "if I were a gambler" -- I'd be willing to bet that the other Fleas had a great time, too.  We were treated to informative classes with great (and patient) instructors; a super-friendly family atmosphere; entertaining concerts by all of the multi-talented artists/instructors; and fun jam sessions at the motel after each day's official activities were over.  Who could ask for anything more!?  

Even though a few days have passed since the Uke Fest ended, I'm still pretty much on a cloud of ukulele bliss.  Thanks to the Ash family and all of the instructors for giving us this joyful feeling (and a bunch of new stuff to practice, too)!

Already looking forward to Uke Fest 2014!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment