Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sal Receives a Delivery

Sal and I have been having a good time traveling around, but, as you will see from the pictures in this post, we won't be going anywhere for a while.  How long this will be depends on how much time it takes me to place 600 bricks around the flower beds in the front yard.  My plan is to dig a small trench, put some sand in the bottom to make a level base, and place the bricks so that they become a nice border between the beds and the grass.  Since I have over 200 feet of edge to do, and each brick is four inches wide, I will be placing a lot of bricks.  (The 600 that were delivered today may not be enough!)

I ordered the bricks on Monday, and was glad that the very helpful folks at Westview Concrete were able to deliver them today.  Since tomorrow is a holiday, I will have the whole day to get a good start on the project.  (No Fourth of July cook-out for me!)


This gentleman brought my bricks on this giant truck.  He was able to back into my driveway without incident.  This impressed me, as I can't even back my car up the driveway without weaving all over the place!  When I told him about this blog, and asked him to pose with Sal, I'm sure he thought I was a bit nutty.  He kindly agreed to pose anyway!

Sal and I retreated to the front porch to watch the action.  It was amazing to watch the bricks lifted off the truck by the giant boom thingy and placed gently on the driveway.  The guy who did this (didn't get his name) is great at his job!

After the truck was gone, I let Mrs. Chippy come outside with me.  She was walking around the pallet, so I decided to try to get a picture of her and Sal on top of the bricks.  She decided that she didn't want to pose -- she wanted to get down!  It was too high, though, so she just kept walking to the edge and looking down and then walking to the other side and looking down.  There was no easy escape!

As Mrs. Chippy walked around on top, I kept going over and trying to gently convince her to sit (or stand or lie down) by Sal.  This is the best shot I was able to get of the two of them.  Then I gave up and put her down on the driveway.  She will never be a successful model if she refuses to comply with the wishes of the photographer!  Sal is a much more cooperative subject!

The bricks are unwrapped.  Time to get to work!

One last picture of Sal with the bricks.  Next time I take a picture of Sal with them, they will be in their places along the edges of the flower beds.  (I think you understand -- after seeing this post -- why Sal and I will be taking a little break from our travels.)


No comments:

Post a Comment