Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Chance Meeting at a Gardening Paradise

Yesterday I was off work so, as usual, I tried to cram in more things than were possible.  No need to specify most of them here, as they were un-Sal-related, but one of them led to a Sal photo op.  Let's just say that for reasons too long to explain, Sal was in the car when I made a stop at Bluestone Perennials to pick up some more plants for my yard.  This place is a perennial-lovers paradise -- and they have lots of nice annuals, too!  Their catalog is a real gardener's dream book.  The best part -- for me and others within driving distance of Madison, Ohio -- is that we can go to Bluestone's nursery and buy plants in person.  The prices are much less than online and customers get to select their own plants.  I had already been to Bluestone and purchased a carload of plants a few weeks ago, but wanted a few(!?) more, so I squeezed in another stop there.

So what, you may be saying!?  Who cares if you went to a garden center?  But this is where the story gets interesting/funny (to me anyway).  Madison is a pretty long drive from where I live -- about an hour and 15 minutes each way -- so it's not a casual thing to go there.  I rushed in under the closing time wire, so to speak, and was quickly selecting a few plants when I turned around and saw my friend's mother standing behind me, and then saw my friend as well.  They were at Bluestone, too!  Lots of surprised exclamations and explanations followed, as this friend and I have in the past traveled to Bluestone together.  The two plant-lovers had been at the nursery for hours and their car was filled with lovely plants.  As they were leaving they noticed my car in the parking area and came back -- and ended up buying two additional flats of annuals as they were talking to me!  I had to get Sal out and document the coincidence!

Since it was so close to closing time, I could only take a couple of quick photos.  Perhaps another trip to Bluestone is needed?   Can I justify another long drive out there to buy more plants and take carefully composed Sal pictures?  Time will tell...

Three Bluestone customers (Heidi, Raenell, and Sal) by the board listing prices for in-person shoppers.  Notice the rows and rows of perennials behind them!

Haste makes waste, but also makes not-so-great photos.  I'm only including this because it gives an idea of the huge selection at Bluestone.  (No, I am not being paid to promote them.  I just love the place!) 

On the way out I stopped to take a photo of Sal on the Bluestone sign.  We were feeling sad that there wasn't enough time to select more plants...

No comments:

Post a Comment