Friday, April 12, 2013

Sal Returns to the Film Festival

In my previous post about the Cleveland International Film Festival, I mentioned that I thought it would be impossible to get a picture of Sal with any "festival luminaries."  The person I most wanted to photograph with Sal was Bill, artistic director of the Festival.  If you wonder why, just watch this Film Festival trailer about him!  He is a busy guy, though, always hurrying from place to place -- usually with a bunch of other people -- so I figured it couldn't happen.  Imagine my surprise when the very next day I saw him walking all by himself!  I took a chance and asked him if he would pose for a picture if I brought Sal to the Festival again.  He graciously said that he would -- if I could catch him -- so yesterday I stuck Sal's case in my bag and brought her along for another amazing day at the Festival.  I saw Bill a few times, but he was very busily rushing about doing his Film Fest thing, and I began to think the picture wasn't going to happen.  But hooray!  As I waited around for my last movie to begin, he came by and the time was right!  I took this picture quickly, not noticing the light fixture right behind Bill's head, so you can see that this blog is not going to be an exhibition of fine photography.  On the bright side, I think these little adventures with Sal are teaching me a lot.  I'm working on absorbing the following:
1. It's not always the product.  Sometimes the process is the important part.
2. Slow down and be more observant.  It only takes a little more time to do a better job.
3. Write things down if you want to give an accurate description later.  Names and details are quickly forgotten in the hurly burly of events.
4. Do things when you have the opportunity.  You might not have another chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment