Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sal Sees Lots of Model Trains

Just around the corner from where I live is a restored train depot housing the Cuyahoga Valley and West Shore Model Railroad Club.  Twice a year they have an Open House.  I've been wanting to go for a long time, but there was always something preventing me -- mostly the necessity of holding down a job instead of spending all my time having fun.   Starting Travels With Sal made me determined to find a way, so I decided that I would squeeze in a quick visit to the May Open House on my way to work.  I was actually on my way there when I was prevented by circumstances beyond my control.  (If you'd like to know what happened, read I've Been Hampered by a Railroad -- the post about that truncated outing.)

After the May debacle, I was even more determined to make it to the December Open House, and this time I was successful.  I asked the gentleman collecting the $3.00 admission fee if I could put Sal into some of the train layouts, and he said I could put her wherever I wanted -- as long as I didn't break anything.  In the "it's a small world" department, this man told me that he does not have a blog, but he did take a Build-a-Bear across the country and dip its foot or hand (I forgot which) into the Pacific Ocean.  (One of the coolest things about doing Travels with Sal is talking with people and hearing their stories.  Everybody has an interesting tale or two to tell!)

When I go on outings with Sal, I carry a largish bag containing Sal, my camera, my keys, etc.  The gentleman at the door very kindly allowed me to leave this bag in his care, as the tight spaces in the depot would make carrying it a liability.  There isn't much room to walk, as there are train layouts all around with relatively narrow passageways between them.   There are trains of several gauges running in realistic scenes of all kinds -- city and countryside, residential and industrial, etc.  There were many visitors there -- and more arrived every minute -- so it was quite challenging to move around.  Everyone was very polite and considerate as we squeezed by each other and admired the layouts surrounding us.  I spoke with some very helpful gentlemen* wearing shirts indicating that they were members of the Club.  They were obviously very proud of what they have made -- and justifiably so! 

I highly recommend traveling to Olmsted Falls to see this train lover's paradise!  The Open House continues today, and there will be another one next May. 


I love how big Sal looks in these scenes.


Quite a few people stopped and chuckled as I was taking this photo.




This might be my favorite picture from our visit to the Open House.  I love the colors.  They set off Sal very nicely, I think.


I tried to avoid putting Sal directly on the tracks as much as possible, for fear that a train would come by and Sal would cause a derailment.  I'm happy to report that no such disaster occurred, but a train did chug by very shortly after I removed Sal from this track.  Gulp.


Next to the depot there is a caboose, which is also open to visitors during the Open House.  Here is Sal on the brake wheel.  (I was told that one of the functions of the caboose was to help with braking back in the day.)





*As a children's librarian, I can testify that boys love trains!  They love real trains, and they love model trains.  I've never been asked for a "train book" by a girl, but I've been asked for them countless times by guys young and old. 




2 comments:

  1. I would have been one of the girls to ask for a train book. Actually, maybe not. I would have found it on my own first. :) I also find it amusing that the model train group has no women in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are still into them, I'll share new train books when we get them. :)

      The club may have some female members, but I didn't see any at the show.

      Delete