Friday, October 16, 2015

Sal Meets the Steel City Ukes at a Very Cool Workshop

Sal and I have been following the Steel City Ukuleles on Meetup for a long time, and have been quite tempted by some of the workshops they offer.  Unfortunately, I work every other Saturday, and it seems that the workshops are always scheduled for days I'm slated to appear at the salt mine.  Also, even though driving to Pittsburgh and back in a day is doable, I always get lost when I go there.  This makes me a bit Pittsburgh-phobic.

The workshop that was being held on August 22nd, however, was irresistible. As members of  The Cleveland Fleaharmonics, Sal and I were very interested in the subject -- arranging and performing as a group.  Also, I had heard great things about the instructors:  Craig Chee and Sarah Maisel And there was the chance to spend some time with other ukulele lovers, which is always a good thing.  I was able to trade Saturdays with a coworker so that I could go. Sal and I hitched a ride with Tabitha -- a fellow Fleaharmonic -- and we had a swell day.

Before the workshop, we made an expensive stop at Ikea.  (My rule = if you are in a town with an Ikea, you must go there!)  Then it was off to spend some quality uke time with the Steel City folks!  (We didn't get lost, but there was a terrible traffic jam on the freeway, which made us a bit late.  Fortunately -- or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it -- others had been stuck in traffic too, so the beginning of the workshop was delayed a bit.)


Sarah Maisel, Jack with Sal, and a bunch of other friendly Steel City Ukes members.  What a welcoming bunch!

Sal enjoyed being played by Sunny Park.

Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee with Sal. 

The workshop was wonderful!  Tabitha, Sal, and I all had a great time, and hope to return to Pittsburgh soon! (Too bad the next workshop is being held on a day I have to work!  ARGH!)

No comments:

Post a Comment